BIS Certificate online Procedure, Benefits, Cost and More.
BIS refers to the Bureau of Indian Standards which is the National Certification Body of India. Bureau of Indian Standards grants BIS certificate/licence to the manufacturers and Importers of various products/goods listed in BIS’s voluntary or mandatory certification scheme.The BIS certificate acts as a third-party endorsement of quality, safety, and reliability for products.
Bureau of Indian Standards is a statutory body established under the BIS Act, 1986, and it operates under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India. The BIS certification scheme is primarily voluntary in nature. However, the Central Government mandates compliance with Indian Standards for numerous products based on various considerations, including public interest, safeguarding human, animal, or plant health, environmental safety, prevention of unfair trade practices, and national security.
Let's take a closer look at what BIS certification is all about.
OBJECTIVE OF BIS CERTIFICATION
The primary objective of BIS certification is to verify that products adhere to defined quality and safety standards prior to their sale in the Indian market. This certification serves to safeguard consumer interests, product quality and safety. Here are some key points regarding BIS certification:
- Mandatory Certification
- Voluntary Certification
- Standards and Testing
- Product Marking
- Surveillance and Renewal
- Conformity Assessment Schemes
- Imported Products
BIS Certification Schemes in India
The Bureau of Indian Standards is involved in various certification schemes to protect consumers' interests:
- The Compulsory Registration Scheme ensures that products meet specific standards and requirements.
- Foreign manufacturers can obtain product certification through the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme.
- Product quality and safety are verified through the Product Certification Scheme.
- Precious metal items are certified under the Hallmarking Scheme.
- BIS is engaged in the Standard Formulation process for creating industry standards.
- Laboratory Recognition Scheme: This scheme covers the recognition of laboratories in India and outside India.
- Indian BIS provides Laboratory Services to test and verify product quality.
- Consumer Affairs Activities are undertaken to protect consumer rights and interests.
- BIS offers Information Services to disseminate knowledge about standards and certifications.
- BIS is involved in Promotional Activities to raise awareness about quality and safety standards.
- Training Services at the national and international levels are provided to educate stakeholders about BIS standards and practices.
For More Information Check : BIS Registration Scheme
What is BIS Marking?
The Bureau of Indian Standards is involved in various certification schemes and provides standard markings for the products after proper inspection and testing from BIS-recognized laboratories. The BIS states that every product needs to have a noticeable, marking label. This label must contain the brand name, product name, model number, power rating, manufacturer's name, and country of origin (for example, Made in India, Made in China). It can be printed, stamped, or even engraved on a metal plate. Other information on the label is optional and may change depending on the product's specific requirements.
Certain electronic and IT products must have the Standard Mark (CRS Mark), while gold and silver items need the BIS hallmark. The ISI mark is necessary for cement, household electrical goods, food, and steel. It's also used for some BIS-certified products listed in voluntary certification schemes. Once you've obtained the BIS certificate, you can use the standard mark on your product.
BIS-CRS Logo for BIS-Registration
(Electronic & IT Products)
BIS-ISI Logo(BIS Standard
(for domestic product)
BIS-Hallmark Logo(BIS Standard Mark)
(for Gold and Silver Products)
DIFFERENT TYPES OF BIS CERTIFICATION
| Compulsory Registration Scheme (BIS CRS)
||Mandatory registration scheme for specific products
|Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
||Certification for foreign manufacturers
|Product Certification Scheme (ISI Mark)
||Certification for domestic products
|BIS Hallmarking Scheme
||Certification for silver and gold items
|Recognition of Assaying and Hallmarking Centre
||Recognition for facilities conducting assaying and hallmarking
|BIS Laboratory Recognition Scheme
||Recognition scheme for laboratories testing products
|Management System Certification compliance
||Certification for management system
|ECO Mark Certification
||Certification for environmentally friendly products
What are the Benefits of a BIS Certificate/ISI Mark in India?
- Trust in Quality and Safety: The ISI mark on a product gives it a new lease on life regarding standardisation, quality control, product protection, and durability for Indian and global customers.
- Distinguishes itself from inferior products: One of the most essential advantages of this credential is that it sets product quality standards. The ISI Mark distinguishes high-quality items from low-quality ones.
- Guaranteed Product Replacement: If a product fails to meet certification requirements, the manufacturer must replace it with a new product. This ensures that buyers get good value for their money
- Ensure that the products have been thoroughly tested: As this mark is released after a thorough investigation, the quality and standards of products bearing the ISI mark are established.
What is the Process of BIS Certification?
The BIS certification process often requires the following steps:
- Product tests in India.
A factory inspection and follow-up testing may be needed, depending on the type of certification and the affected goods. If a factory inspection is required, the auditors can pick test samples during the audit, adding several months to the certification process. On our BIS certification process page, you can also see which goods need an audit.
The certification provided by Aleph INDIA is valid for two years, but the duration of follow-up testing varies by product type. The classification of a product can be difficult, and it is best to verify each one individually.
What is the BIS Certification cost in India?
We at Aleph INDIA issue the BIS Certificate following successful product safety testing as per the notified Indian Standards and submitting required documentation. The BIS certification is valid for two years. Furthermore, BIS Certification may be renewed if the prescribed requirements and the product in question do not improve. In addition, the renewed certificate will be valid for at least one year and up to five years. By providing BIS Certification Cost, certificates must be renewed annually, and a minimum labelling charge must be paid in advance. The applicant must pay a late fee of INR 5000 if the application for the certificate renewal is submitted after the certificate's expiry date has passed.
PRODUCTS COVERED UNDER BIS CERTIFICATION SCHEMES
BIS operates various Mandatory Certification Schemes as well as voluntary certification schemes
- Product Certification Scheme is a voluntary scheme that covers various domestic products to use the ISI mark to ensure product quality as per the required Indian Standard. Here's the list of products covered under the BIS Product Certification Scheme - I (ISI Mark Scheme):
|Household Electrical Goods
||Rubber Hose for Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
|Oil Pressure Stoves
|Cylinder, Valves, and Regulator
||Flat Transparent Sheet Glass
|Steel and Iron Products
||Reflectors for Bicycles
|Chemicals, Fertilisers, Polymers & Textiles
||Automobile Wheel Rim Component
|Domestic Water Heaters for use with LPG
|Air Conditioners and its related Parts
|Plugs and Socket
||Helmet for riders of Two-Wheeler Motor Vehicles
|Domestic Gas Stoves
|Transparent Float Glass
||Centrifugally Cast (Spun) Iron Pipes
|Domestic Pressure Cooker
||Flux-Cored (Tubular) Electrodes
||Water Treatment System
- Compulsory Registration Scheme - II covers electronics and IT products listed in BIS CRS scheme. Here's the list of products covered under CRS Scheme - II (Registration Scheme)
|Electronic Games (Video)
||Power Banks for use in portable applications
||Recessed LED Luminaires
|Plasma/LCD/LED Televisions of screen size 32" & above
||LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting
|Optical Disc Players
||LED Flood Lights
|Visual Display Units
||LED Lighting Chains
||LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting
||UPS/Inverters of rating ≤ 10kVA
|Telephone Answering Machines
||CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders
|Electronic Musical Systems
||Adapters for household and similar electrical appliances
|Electronic Clocks with Mains Powers
|| Fingerprint scanners
|Automatic Data Processing Machine
||Standalone LED Modules for General Lighting
|Power Adaptors for IT Equipment
||Lighting Chain (Rope Lights)
|UPS/Inverters of rating ≤5kVA
||Automatic Teller Cash dispensing machines
|Sealed Secondary Cells
||USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
|Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services
||Wireless Headphones and Earphones
|Fixed General-Purpose LED Luminaires
||USB Type External Solid-State Storage Devices
||Electronic Musical System
||Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)
|Point of Sale Terminals
||Television other than Plasma/LCD/LED TVs
|Smart Card Readers
|Mail Processing Machines/Postage Machines/Franking Machines
|Webcam (Finished Product)
||Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
|Dimmers for LED products
|Dimmers for LED products
- Mandatory Certification Scheme - IV (Certificate of Conformity)
- Stamping/laminations/cores of transformers (with or without winding)
- Requirement of Retro-Reflective Devices for Bicycles
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has notified a compilation of Solar Photovoltaics, Systems, Devices, and Components that are mandatory for registration under the scheme.
- Power converters designed for use in photovoltaic power systems.
- Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) modules (Si wafer-based).
- Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) Modules (including a-Si, CiGs, and CdTe)
- Utility-Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters.
- Storage batteries.
- Low-Voltage switchgear and control gear have been notified by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Electromechanical contactors and Motor starters
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers and starters
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers and contactors for non-motor loads
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Electromechanical control circuit devices.
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Proximity switches.
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Electrical emergency stop devices with mechanical latching function.
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Circuit Breakers.
- Low-Voltage switchgear & control gear: Switches, disconnectors, switch disconnectors, and fuse combination units.
This list details various components within the category of "Low-Voltage switchgear and control gear."
- List of chemicals Product notified by the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers
- Ortho Phosphoric Acid
- Polyphosphoric Acid
- Trimethyl Phosphite
Aleph INDIA is an experienced certification consultant dedicated to offering cost-effective BIS Certification solutions to domestic and international manufacturers aiming to market their electronic products in India. Our expertise lies in guiding manufacturers through the comprehensive process of achieving BIS Certification, ensuring compliance with all requirements.
Aleph India provides comprehensive assistance, starting from assisting with application form submission to liaising with BIS officials, to ensure the successful acquisition of the certificate. Our services also include facilitating product testing and obtaining the necessary licences governed by BIS regulations.