WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI): VINs were first used in the United States in
1954. There was no accepted standard for VIN numbers from 1954 to 1981; therefore
different manufacturers utilized different formats.
In 1954, at the request of the US government, US car
manufacturers and the Automobile Manufacturers Association collaborated on the
creation of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a new, standardized vehicle
identification numbering system with a predetermined digit sequence and hidden
chassis markings. American automobile manufacturers have used a vehicle
identification number to describe and identify motor vehicles since 1954.
The United States' National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration standardized the format in 1981. It mandated that all on-road
vehicles sold have a 17-character vehicle identification number (VIN), which
excludes the letters O, I and Q (to avoid confusion with numerals 0, 1, and 9).
WMIs are assigned to countries and manufacturers
by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in the United States. For code
assignment, each ISO national member body designates an organization that acts on
behalf of the international agency responsible for the maintenance of WMI codes.
BIS, as India's National Standards Body and a
member of the International Organization for Standardization, serves as the WMI
coordinator in India, assigning WMI codes to vehicle manufacturers after they are
assigned by the Society of Automotive Engineers Inc. in the United States, the
international agency responsible for maintenance of WMI codes.
A World manufacturer Identifier, commonly abbreviated to WMI is the first three
characters of VIN. The first three characters of VIN that uniquely identify the
manufacturer of the vehicle are called the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI).
VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
"VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number (also known as a chassis number or
frame number), is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify
individuals to motor vehicles."
To uniquely identify a car, automotive manufacturers around the world use a
numbering system known as the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
The VIN is made up of 17 characters except for the letters I, O, Q that uniquely
identify the vehicle. The first three characters of VIN uniquely identify the
manufacturer of the vehicle and 4 to 9 letter is the Vehicle Descriptor part of the
VIN, and the last 8 character is Vehicle Indicator Sector.
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) system is now based on two related standards,
ISO 3779 and ISO 3780.
- ISO 3779: Road Vehicles - VIN Content & Structure. It establishes the content
and structure of an identifier in order to ensure the identification of road
vehicle manufacturers on a global scale.
- ISO 3780: Road Vehicles - WMI Code.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR WMI CODE REGISTRATION
- Self-certified GST certificate photocopy
- Self certified Photocopy of Certificate of Incorporation
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association/ Partnership deed
- Self-certified photocopy of the Udyam Registration/ certificate issued by MSME,
Government of India.
- Self-certified copy of other relevant documents, if any
- Application fees remitted
- Address proof document
- Product category/code for which WMI code is desired
- Currently used coding system details
- Proposed production initiation date/month
- Submission of Application with requisite documents: Applicant needs to
submit Application hardcopy with the required documents to BIS.
- Verification of document: BIS officials will verify the documents check
whether all documents are received or not.
- Proposal of WMI: code as per the series and entry of the same in the BIS
- Registration with SAE International, USA: The WMI Code is assigned by
- Confirmation letter from SAE International: Applicant will receive a
confirmation letter and WMI code after registering with SAE International.
- Communication of WMI to the applicant firm: At last, WMI Code will be
issued to the applicant.
Sample of a Grant Certificate for WMI
FEES REQUIRED TO REGISTER FOR WMI
For this service, BIS charges may be vary as per product category with a minimal
cost of Rs 5000/- plus applicable taxes and so on.
HOW TO GET REGISTERED FOR WMI CODE?
To get a complete idea about the WMI Code procedure for automobile and make the
business hustle-free contact ALEPH INDIA. We aim to facilitate the client to get
Certification & License under the various Schemes under Govt. of India.
Aleph INDIA has been facilitating fortune 500 companies for a decade. Visit Aleph
India to know more about the WMI code registration process. You may also reach Aleph
INDIA toll-free helpline at 08048036869 / +919990136656 for a quick response. For
more queries, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com