The Economy of India-the fastest developing economy on
the globe with the capabilities that help it matches up with the biggest
international economies of the world. Globalization has opened the world economy for
trade like manufacturing, services, selling products in different countries,
import-export etc. Over the last few decades, many foreign companies have set up
different industries like manufacturing in India as a result of globalization. The
manufacturing sector has the ability to expand its market base beyond the country
borders, contribute to the foreign exchange reserves of the economy and boost the
economic development of the country. It is considered as the "engine of growth".
India has become the most attractive destination for import, investment in the
manufacturing sector. Many top brands have decided to invest in India, like Amazon
has planned to start electronic manufacturing in India, Samsung Display Noida, which
has invested a huge amount in starting its manufacturing etc. In order to boost the
growth of the manufacturing sector, the Government of India has offered special
If we talk about the import, India is one of the
biggest hubs for international manufacturer who can export their product to India.
In India, lots of foreign companies are
operating, but every country has set different rules and standards for
manufacturing. You cannot launch your product directly into the market without
product conformity compliances, testing and marking. For this, you have to follow
some procedures, and this is where Foreign Manufacturer Certification Scheme takes
place for product certification by the Bureau of Indian Standards under ISI mark
WHAT IS FMCS (FOREIGN MANUFACTURERS CERTIFICATION SCHEME)?
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) is
a Scheme operated by the Bureau of Indian Standards since year 2000 under Scheme-I of Schedule-II, BIS Act, 2016 and (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018 for foreign manufacturers. This scheme enables the overseas
applicants/manufacturers to use the standard mark, which is also called ISI Mark, to
sell their products in India. The foreign manufacturers Certification Department
(FMCD) is the only eligible authority that can grant BIS Certificate for import to the foreign
manufacturers. The major motive of BIS for granting a Manufacturing certificate to Foreign
manufactures is that the public gets good quality, safe, reliable and risk-free
BIS FMCS Certificate in India from the FMCD department
is meant for the manufacturing units located overseas, and which will undergo for
factory audit to determine whether the manufacturer is complying with all the
necessary requirements illustrated by BIS. It is also mandatory for foreign
applicants to nominate Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).To understand all
these steps, let's explore the parameters in detail.
So it is mandatory for the foreign manufacturers to obtain a BIS Certificate for Import in India under FMCS Scheme for uninterrupted exporting and selling their products in the Indian market.
BIS STANDARD MARK/ISI MARK
BIS Standard Mark or ISI
Mark consists of Licence number as 'CM/L-XXXXXXXXXX' at the bottom of
ISI Mark and Indian standard number at the top of above ISI Mark. This
mark shall be rewarded by the Bureau of Indian Standards after the
successful grant of the BIS Certificate.
Guideline for BIS ISI Mark Certification for Foregin Manufacturer
Foreign manufacturers who want to export their
product to India, first need to get a manufacturer certificate from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
and following requirements shall be fulfilled by the applicant.
- The manufacturing unit should be located outside of India.
- Ensure conformity of their product(s) to applicable Indian Standards
- At the factory premises, all manufacturing machinery and testing facilities
should be available.
- Product testing equipment and quality control personnel should be available
in-house laboratory to test the product as per applicable ISS.
- The manufacturer should accept the Scheme of Inspection & Testing(SIT) and the
annual marking fee.
- The company/manufacturer (FMCS) should accept the terms and conditions of the
Note - Separate applications shall be submitted for each product, each factory location. The list of the products under FMCS are listed below.
MANDATORY DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR FMCS ISI MARK CERTIFICATION
The documentation part under the FMCS BIS Certification scheme of
BIS is quite simple as very recently BIS Online application system has been
introduced to collect and maintain the records. Following are the essential
documents, must be available with the applicant before initiating the project:
- Factory/company registration documents
- Flow chart of manufacturing process
- Manufacturing capabilities in-house and also outsourcing agreement of
manufacturing operation, if applicable.
- Adequate facilities for testing
- Quality Control Parameters and their records
- Accept Scheme of Testing & Inspection and Annual Marking fee, laboratory product
testing report and other information as per BIS norm and so on. The list of
documents is quite tedious and can be obtained from BIS.
FMCS BIS certification process involves following systematic steps which will
help in Grant of FMCS
licence to foreign manufacturers
- Submit application:
Query raised (if any):
- Compile all required documents
- Submit the application with required documents to BIS online and hardcopy to FMCD department
- BIS authority will verify the application
- In case, any document or test equipment or any other requirement is missing or incomplete, communication
will be done by email with applicant
- If the application is found satisfactory in all respects, it will be
- Acknowledgement number will be allotted for future purpose
- BIS Officer will arrange a visit at factory premises of applicant on the mutually agreed date
- Remittance of inspection/audit fee
- BIS Officer will verify the manufacturing process, testing infrastructure and also test the product in your
- BIS Officer will collect the sample, seal it, and forward it for testing with an independent laboratory
Grant of Licence:
- Sample collected sent to BIS Approval Laboratory
- BIS(FMCS) receive the test report
- Charges for testing will be paid by the application firm
- Satisfactory inspection report of the auditor visited the factory premises, and test report of the product
received according to Indian Standards
- Applicant should pay a Licence fee, advance minimum Marking fee & if any outstanding due
- Letter for Grant of Licence issued
Sample of a Grant Certificate for FMCS
Agreement & Indemnity bond
entered between the applicant and BIS. It includes following provisions
- All rights and responsibilities of licensee
- Performance bank guarantee
- Cancellation of license
After qualifying all above steps, the licence will be
granted once all type of fee is paid. Initially, it will be granted for 1 year,
which would be further renewable for subsequent years.
Note: Performance Bank Guarantee should be of
USD 10000 of any bank approved from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to be submitted
TIMELINE FOR BIS LICENCE
The average time taken for Grant of Licence is
approximately 6 months from the date receipt of complete application and its
recording. The rest depends upon the circumstances. It may vary for certain reasons
like delay from applicants in response to queries raised, if any, delay in
organizing inspection or testing of the sample, remittance of dues, etc.
Surveillance Inspection is carried out from time
to time, and market samples are drawn out by the BIS in order to assess the
performance of the foreign BIS licensee.
In case any complaint is received against the
licensee's product, then an investigation will be carried out as per IS/ISO 10002,
and immediate action will be taken to redress the complaints, such as free
replacement or repair. In case of any damage, the entire liability will be borne by
the licensee, and BIS will not be responsible for any damages or losses.
HOW TO RENEW BIS LICENCE?
A BIS certified manufacturers license is valid for the time period of one
year. It can be further renewed for subsequent years just by filing a renewal
application form along with the prescribed fees, which should be certified by the
Every Foreign applicant/manufacturer shall have a
branch office located in India which shall fulfill all the liabilities and
obligations with respect to the BIS Act, 1986, and rules and regulations framed for
the purpose of registration, on behalf of the foreign applicant. Foreign
Manufacturers/companies need to appoint an Authorized Representative in India to
represent their case and meet the terms with the regulations and registrations
It is mandatory for the foreign applicants to
nominate Authorized Indian Representative (AIR in India to get BIS Licence, ISI Mark
Certificate in case they don't have a branch office in India. AIR as a local
representative, is responsible for submitting and managing the application for
certification and is available to answer the questions. While nominating the AIR,
the applicant should ensure the following points.
- AIR nominated by the foreign manufacturer should be an Indian resident
- AIR shall give his consent that he is responsible for compliance to the
provisions of the Indian BIS act, Rules, Regulations, and Terms & Conditions
given in BIS Licence, Agreement, Undertaking or other documents executed on
behalf of the foreign manufacturer in connection with grant and operation of the
- AIR can only represent one Foreign manufacturer at one time, cannot represent
other Foreign applicants as AIR.
- AIR(s) shall have no conflict of interest in their role as AIR with testing of a
sample(s) in third-party laboratories.
- The minimum qualification for an AIR is a bachelor's degree and knowledge of the
provisions of the BIS Act, 2016, as well as rules and regulations.
- AIR's name shall appear in the licence documents.
The process of obtaining BIS Certification is more complicated than it might initially appear to be. It is therefore advised that the applicant hire a consultant who can deliver a seamless and hassle-free certification service.
Aleph INDIA Group, a premier FMCS agency in India, offers expert consultants and agents to streamline FMCS certification for foreign manufacturers. Our 16+ years of experience ensure a smooth and efficient process, helping businesses meet Indian regulatory standards. Trust Aleph INDIA's consultation services for hassle-free FMCS registration, making entry into the Indian market a breeze.