In the era of globalization, world trade is growing
rapidly and henceforth, Manufacturing and Import/Export businesses are also growing
drastically. Regardless of what position you deal with, maybe you are an Importer,
Trader, Supplier, or most of all a Manufacturer, there is some liability of compliance &
regulatory requirements which need to be fulfilled before introducing any products in
When we talk about Electronic & IT products, a
significant quality control compliance is required, known as BIS REGISTRATION. On this
page, you won't miss a piece of single information about the compliance requirement of
the BIS Registration under the Compulsory Registration Scheme
(CRS). To understand the requirement of BIS registration, let's draw some attention to the history,
organs and nature of BIS LICENCE:
WHAT IS BIS LICENCE?
Having a BIS Licence for your manufactured products means protection, standardization
and quality marking for an accountable and traceable system, which eventually
accommodate your consumers, creating a sense of assurance and trust. Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is a National Standard Body established under the BIS Act 1986, responsible for managing the product certification scheme in India to ensure product quality, safety, and trust. BIS certification is not a universal standard for all the products, rather, products are governed under a particular Indian Standard.
BIS Licence promotes imports and domestic manufacturers by
guiding them on a regular basis with the correct specifications of the products to
harmonize the flow and quality through certification and testing.
BIS COMPULSORY REGISTRATION SCHEME FOR ELECTRONIC & IT PRODUCTS (BIS REGISTRATION
In 2012, the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) was introduced by the Department of
Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), jointly with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to protect Indian
consumers from spurious and substandard goods.
According to Compulsory Registration Scheme Orders, no one shall manufacture or store for sale, sell, import, or distribute goods that do not comply with the Indian standard specified in the order and do not bear the Standard Mark with a unique registration number obtained from BIS.
Electronics and IT product certification comes under BIS compulsory registration scheme. Under CRS scheme, registration is required for electronics and IT products before launching them into the market.
BIS grants a license to the manufacturers to use or apply Standard Mark with unique R-number on electronics and IT products. BIS Registration is based on your self-declaration of conformity for goods and articles as per Indian Standards.
The conformity assessment scheme outlined in Scheme II of Schedule II of the BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018 governs the grant of a licence and its operation under the Compulsory Registration Scheme.
To be precise, there is a total of 76 products category that have been recognized till
now, out of which 63 products are added by MEITY, 5 by MNRE, and 8 by MHIPE. For your convenience, we are providing
a BIS products list table with all the products names and Indian Standard required under BIS compulsory registration
scheme at the end of this article.
In this Compulsory Registration Order (CRO), the ministry
listed a total of 15 categories of electronic products in the 1st phase. Later on, the
ministry issued five phases at regular intervals. In the last and latest phase
(Phase-V), the central government included 7 more electronic products on 05 October
2020, which make it a total of 63 Electronics and Information Technology products. Not
just that, other departments also added some of the products to BIS REGISTRATION SCHEME
like 5 products related to Solar Photovoltaics, Systems, Devices and Components which is
added and regulated by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), and 8 products
related to Low - Voltage Switchgear and Control Gear which is added by The Ministry of
Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises under BIS REGISTRATION.
If you are a
Manufacturer of any electronic or IT product, then we are sure you immediately want to
check beneath the table for your product specification under Indian Standard, and you
could but don't miss the exact details with facts and figures we are about to present in
this article. Your enquiries for the latest updates about BIS registration are always welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org
We know at this moment, so many questions are tingling in
your mind, but don't worry at all. Let's have a look at the complete operating mechanism
of BIS Registration (BIS registration Requirement/Procedure/TimeLine/Cost).
Process of BIS Registration under Compulsory Registration Scheme(CRS)
Beneath, you will find the proper process of
BIS Registration for BIS CRS, from online application to Grant licence - step by step
- Online submission of application: Applicant is required to apply on the CRS portal to obtain login credentials.
- Testing of product in BIS approved lab: Applicants need to generate test request by login with credentials and getting their product tested from BIS recognize lab.
- Offline/online submission of Application: After that, the Applicant must apply on the portal using the verified Test Report within 90 days of its issue and submit all required documents with the application as per the checklist.
- Scrutiny of application: Scrutiny of test report and all submitted document with application will be done by BIS officials.
- Grant of license: BIS will grant a license to the manufacturers to use or apply Standard Mark with unique R-number on electronics and IT products.
Requirements of BIS Registration
Following are the essential requirement of BIS registration under CRS:
- First of all, if you are a manufacturer of any product included in the CRS Scheme, then registration is required for that products before launching them into the market.
- The manufacturer seeking to register to use or apply Standard Mark on their product shall conform to the requirements of Indian Standard Specifications.
- The BIS license will be granted to you by BIS based on your self-declaration of conformity of the product with the application you are submitting.
- This self-declaration of conformity from you indicates that your manufacturing infrastructure can produce quality products with necessary testing facilities which can test the products in the prescribed period at your premises only.