UTILITY-INTERCONNECTED PHOTOVOLTAIC INVERTERS
A grid connected photovoltaic system is an electricity generating solar PV power system that is connected to the utility grid. A grid-connected PV system consists of solar panels, one or several inverters, a power conditioning unit and grid connection equipment. From 30 June 2020, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has required Utility-Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters to be registered as per IS 16221 : 2015 & IS 16169 : 2014 under Compulsory Registration Scheme from BIS under the Gazette of India. While meeting the technical requirements of the standard has not been a challenge, working with the testing laboratories and BIS had not come so easily. Constantly changing requirements and administrative roadblocks have burdened many manufacturers.
REQUIREMENT FOR BIS LICENCE
There are four basic pillars of BIS Licence –
- Manufacturer – The BIS licence shall be granted to the manufacturers only not to the importers or the sellers. However, the importer can act as an Authorized Indian Representative on behalf of the foreign manufacturer and submit the application to BIS but the final licence shall be granted to the manufacturer only.
- Manufacturing Address – If the same manufacturer having multiple factory locations for one product, then separate BIS licence shall be required for each location.
- Product – Each product needs a separate BIS licence. However, if the same product having different models, then the same may be covered under one licence.
- Brand / Trademark –Each Brand or Trademark need separate BIS licence.
PROCEDURE FOR BIS REGISTRATION OF AMPLIFIERS
A . For Foreign Manufacturers:
All foreign applicants having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative widely known as AIR. The nomination of AIR shall be varying as per followings:
- If the manufacturer has the liaison office /branch office in India, then they will become the AIR.
- If the manufacturer does not have the liaison office /branch office in India but proprietor /registered user of the brand/trademark appearing on the article is located in India, then Brand/Trademark owner will become AIR.
- If the manufacturer does not have a liaison office located in India and there is no proprietor /registered user of the brand/trademark appearing on the article, located in India then the other entity will become the AIR.
B. For Domestic Manufacturers:
The domestic manufacturer can directly apply to BIS without nominating Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).
STEPS INVOLVED IN BIS REGISTRATION PROCEDURE
- Testing of products in BIS approved Lab
- Online submission of application
- Offline submission (hardcopy) of application
- Scrutiny of application and Report by BIS officials
- Grant of Licence
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR BIS REGISTRATION FOR AMPLIFIERS
- Completely filled CDF/CCL form
- Duly filled BIS application form.
- Business Licence of manufacturing unit (English Translation + Local Language)
- The scope of Business License (English Translation + Local Language)
- ISO certificate of the manufacturer
- Marking Label/ Details of Marking on the product
- Authorization letter (If signatory person is other than the head of the manufacturing)
- Trade Mark Certificate
- Trademark Authorization Letter (If TM is owned by other than the manufacturer)
- Authorized Indian Representative Company registration proof in INDIA (in case of foreign manufacturer)
- Photo ID of Authorized Indian Representative/ Authorized Signatory
- Technical Specification Sheet of Product/user manual
POINTS NEEDS TO BE CONSIDERED TO GET BIS CERTIFICATE
- Choose a reputable testing organization/ BIS agent unless you have the expertise and/or an office in India that can assist you.
- Make sure the laboratory that you plan to use (in-country testing required) is currently authorized for testing of your product and is not in the middle of or about to get audited. At any given time it seems that a third of the laboratories are on suspension. If the lab is being audited, they may lose their authorization until the audit has been fully executed.
- Before shipment of samples, make sure complete arrangements have been made for the entire shipment from your location to the testing laboratories door.
- Prepare the documentation ahead of time to ensure there are no delays. Many of the documents have to be signed by the Manufacturer, Brand Owner and Indian Representative. In addition, the documents will require Notarization by the Manufacturer and Stamped by the Brand Owner and Indian Representative. If you did not read between the lines, you will have to send originals to India to be countersigned as appropriate.
- Make sure the CDF is accurate and that the description of the critical component list is completely filled.
- Remember the test report expires 90 days after the issue. If the BIS submittal is not underway by that date, you will have to start over with a new samples submittal and retest.
- Try to have all Agency/BIS documentation ready and hard copies sent to India before the testing is complete. Request that the Agency complete the address verification (1 week) before the testing completes to reduce delays.
- BIS normally takes about 15 days to either approve the registration or make additional requests. Expect multiple requests and delays. 30 to 60 days is a more realistic timeline to expect.
- Entire paperwork related to the certification.
- Development of samples as per standards for 100% conformity of sample in the testing laboratory.
- Liaison with BIS which includes detailed Application preparation, submission, replying to time to time queries providing clarifications.
- Sending pre-registration request and documentation
- Online submission of application
- Hard copy submission of all docs along with test report to BIS
- Multiple visits to BIS office, Agreement Documents signing, Affidavit
- Time to time miscellaneous/incidental works throughout the License granting process.
- Maintenance of licence for up to 2 years.
- Complete solution for BIS related queries with the help of a highly experienced professional team.
Request a call back.
Would you like to speak to one of our Senior Technical advisers over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.