WPC: Wireless means communication done from one point to another point without the wires and cables. Electromagnetic waves carry the communication over the air. The wireless revolution began in the 1990s with the advent of digital wireless networks, which sparked a social revolution and switched technology from wired to wireless.
The Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing (WPC) of India's Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is the National Radio Regulatory Authority in charge of frequency spectrum management and licencing, as well as catering to the demands of all wireless users. Products with radio and/or wireless functionalities imported or manufactured and marketed in India will need to have an equipment type approval (ETA) certificate from the Wireless Planning and Coordination (WPC) wing of the Ministry of Communications of the government of India. This includes products with Bluetooth, wireless local area network access technology (Wi-Fi), small digital radios (Zigbee), and radio frequency identification (RFID), and many more.
LICENCE PROVIDED BY WPC - AUTHORITY
The WPC (Wireless Planning & Coordination), which is part of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, is the national broadcasting body founded in 1952. WPC (ETA) License issued for IT and Electronic devices that meet the demands of wireless technology users. Only WPC-approved wireless and Bluetooth IT and electronic items that operate on unlicensed frequency bands and meet human safety regulations are allowed to be sold in India.
Types of WPC Approval
Wireless Planning and Coordination is of 3 types which are as follows:
- Non - Network Licence
- Import Licence
- Dealer Possession Licence
- Non-dealer Possession Licence
- Network Licence
- Internet Service Provider Licence (ISP)
- Experimental Licence
- Equipment type Approval (ETA)
- Non - Network Licence -
This licence is issued to the non-network service providers like cable TV distributor and wireless products. This licence is required for the sale, purchase, and import of specific wireless equipment. If you're an incorporated business entity with the appropriate people for the sort of equipment or operation you operate, the WPC will only award you a non-network licence. It is of 3 types
- Import Licence - Import Licence is issued to export wireless products to India. The holder of this licence gets permission to sell his wireless products in the Indian Territory.
- Dealer possession Licence - WPC issues Dealer Possession Licence to an individual/organization who are the dealers and distributors of wireless products.
- Non-Dealer possession Licence - WPC issues non-Dealer Possession Licence to an individual/organization which does not deal with wireless devices and also not hold any licence from WPC.
- Network Licence -
A network licence is given to a company that wants to use the country's restricted radio frequency capacity to provide communication services including mobile networks, cable, and DTH.
- Internet Service Provider Licence (ISP) - Any organization want to provide internet services must obtain ISP Licence from Telecommunication Department (DoT).
- Experimental Licence - Any organization or person who wants to conduct experiments or research on wireless gadgets must obtain experimental licence from WPC Department.
- Equipment type Approval & ETA Certificate –
While importing the product from overseas, a question should always be in our mind. What are the compliances required for my product? Especially when it is Bluetooth device or RF ID-based equipment, make sure that the same must have ETA Certificate. Now let’s discuss what is ETA Certificate in detail:
Equipment Type Approval (ETA) is an approval that has to be obtained from WPC before importing any wireless device in India which functions in the de-licensed frequency band. ETA shall also be required for each product manufactured in India. Such equipment includes products like Bluetooth devices, mobile phones, Wi-Fi technology, RFID and others.
In the cases when the product is manufactured in India and RF module(s) having ETA is/are fitted in it without any modification/alteration, then no separate ETA is required for such finished product. However, if products are manufactured outside India, then ETA is required for each product before its import. In the case where RF modules are separate, ETA shall apply to the RF module.
ETA can be obtained through self-declaration for wireless products which comply with the following conditions:
- Product exempted from import licensing requirement as per EXIM Policy of DGFT
- Working in the de-licensed frequency band
For example:- Mobile handsets, Smartphone, Electronic notepads, Laptops, Smartwatches, SRDs including accessories, microphones, headphones, speakers, earphones, printers, scanners, mouse, keyboard, TV, camera, etc.
For the product which does not fall under the above Category, ETA can be obtained by applying online through the routine procedure to concerned RLOs E.g. Drones and a special camera.
WPC Import License: Import license is required from WPC to import any equipment other than broadcasting Receiver and TVRO system. Once an ETA approval has been granted to equipment, it still has to obtain an Import license if it is required or intended to be import in India.
To obtain an ETA for de-licensed frequency band devices, a detailed test report of the equipment obtained from a well-recognized laboratory has to be submitted to WPC for evaluation. We help our clients with testing of their equipment and obtaining the test report in proper format for submission to WPC.
What is the license free bands for wireless products that are mandatory for ETA by WPC?
- Indoor use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz.
- Use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 2.4GHz to 2.4835GHz.
- Indoor use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 5GHz.
- Outdoor use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 5.825-5.875GHz.
- Use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 865-867GHz.
- Use of low-power wireless equipment in the frequency band 433-434 MHz.
- Use of low power wireless equipment in the frequency band 335MHz for cranes remote control
- Use of low-power wireless equipment in the Citizen band 26.957-27.383MHz.
BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR WPC ETA APPROVAL AND IMPORT LICENCE:
The basic requirements for WPC ETA approval are as follows:-
- For foreign manufacturers: All foreign manufacturers having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).
- If the manufacturer has the liaison office/branch office in India, then they will become the AIR.
- For import license, a foreign manufacturer needs to appoint AIR, which should be the same as in the ETA application.
- For domestic manufacturers: The domestic manufacturer can directly apply for ETA and import license without nominating AIR.
Documents Required for WPC Licence
The following documents are required for ETA approval:
- Copy of company registration
- Copy of company GST registration
- ID and address proof of authorized person
- Radiofrequency test report from IS0 17025 accredited foreign lab or any NABL accredited Indian Lab
- Letter of Authorization
- Product technical details
- IEC in case of import
- A Purchase order in case of import
- Receipt of online fee
- Test report (CE/RoHS/ASTM/EN)
WHAT IS RF (RADIO FREQUENCY) TEST REPORT, AND HOW TO GET RF TEST REPORT?
It is really glad to see that Indian regulatory compliances authorities and WPC are closely observing each and every detail while rewarding and granting any kind of license, and as we all know, to do analysis of any materials or product, we must head up to the laboratories to obtain the detailed reports and characteristic of it. In case of ETA licensing, RF report plays the role.
RF testing is a method of checking the frequency of radio transmissions to ensure that they are efficiently using the spectrum. In this context, efficiency means that radio waves in the airspace do not interfere with one another.
Most types of broadcasts are covered by radio frequency tests, including Wi-Fi, GPS, PMR radio, Cellular devices, and many others. Compliance with frequency standards is required by law in most areas.
For Equipment Type Approval (ETA), WPC Registration requires an RF (Radio Frequency) test report for products operating in de license frequency bands from ILAC accredited foreign lab or NABL accredited Indian lab.
Manufacturers and Importer need to get their product tested in NABL/ILAC accredited lab for ETA approval to import or sell their product in India. In case the imported product contains multiple RF modules, then test report(s) of all RF modules without any alteration to be uploaded for ETA approval.
A thorough test report of the equipment received from a well-recognized laboratory must be submitted to WPC for examination to get an ETA for de-licensed frequency band devices.
We assist our clients with equipment testing and collecting test reports in the correct format for submission to WPC.
PROCESS TO OBTAIN EQUIPMENT TYPE APPROVAL (ETA) FROM WPC
- Checking EN Standard and RF-Test Report - ETA starts with the checking of EN Standard and frequency range in RF-Test report of the product. If frequency range falls under the mandatory devices which works under DE Licence then self-declaration certificate is issued.
- Preparing Documents - After verifying the frequency range from RF- Report, all above mentioned documents are collected accordingly.
- Online portal generation - Applicant must register online on Saral sanchar portal for login credentials.
- Online Payment of Government Fee - Government fee will be paid online.
- Online/Offline submission of Documents - Submit all required documents to WPC authority both online as well as offline, hard copy of the documents.
- Verification of Documents - WPC officials will verify the documents and RF test report. If the document presented are not in order, WPC officials may request for the missing document or any further information, as the case may be, for clarification purposes.
- Grant of ETA Certificate - If WPC officials will get satisfied with the documents and test report of the product then Equipment type Certificate will be granted.
Mandatory requirements for all wireless products (transceivers, transmitters and receivers) entering the Indian market. Note: only receivers do not need approval, for example GPS products.
Product examples: Wireless Bluetooth-Watches, Wireless Water Heaters, Wireless Home Appliances, Wireless Car Radio, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags and readers, Wireless Medical products used for patient profiling, Laptops, Mobile Phones, Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, Remote Key for entry, Wireless Headphones and/or Earplugs, Wireless Music Players, and any other Radio Frequency Modules.
|| WiFi Router
||ETSI EN 301 893
|| Wifi bulb / Smart Bulb
|| Wireless Mouse
|| Wireless Point of Sale Terminals
|| Wireless Speakers
|| Wireless Receiver
||ETSI EN 300 328
|| Bluetooth Headphones
||ETSI EN 300 328
|| Wireless Camera
|| WiFi Smart Watch
||ETSI EN 300 328
|| Wireless Drones
|| Wireless Pendrive
|| Wireless Plug
|| Wireless Nano USB
|| Wireless Repeater
|| Wireless Home Automation Devices
|| Hotspot Devices
|| Smart Home Gateway
|| Walkie Talkie
|| Wireless Terminal
|| Bluetooth Devices
HOW TO GET WPC ETA APPROVAL IN INDIA?
To obtain an ETA for de-licensed frequency band devices, a detailed test report of the equipment obtained from a well-recognized laboratory has to be submitted to WPC for evaluation. We help our clients with testing their equipment and obtaining the test report in the proper format for submission to WPC.
Aleph India has extensive experience in providing WPC (ETA) Approval for IT and Electronic devices to both domestic and international businesses. By obtaining a WPC certificate and an import license, we assist Indian and global firms in releasing their products in the Indian market.
To get a complete idea about ETA approval and hustle-free business, contact Aleph India. We assist the client to get all types of certification and license under the various scheme of the government of India. Our technical team will guide you through every stage of the process and ensure that your business runs smoothly.